This position is filled
OVEC, the Ohio Valley Environmental Coalition, is seeking an Administrative Director with a strong work ethic, familiarity with remote work and management, attention to detail and tracking, and the ability to work collaboratively with others. As a fully integrated member of the small OVEC team, the Administrative Director will be responsible for keeping OVEC on track financially and operationally.
OVEC formed in 1987 to stop a toxic waste dump/incinerator proposed for a low-income community near Huntington, West Virginia. We won that campaign, and by supporting organized voices and empowered communities, we’ve been winning environmental and social justice campaigns ever since.
OVEC’s mission is to organize and maintain a diverse grassroots organization dedicated to the improvement and preservation of the environment and communities through education, grassroots organizing and coalition building, leadership development, strategic litigation, and media outreach. Our work encompasses much of West Virginia, and our members and volunteers are crucial to our work.
Our current programs focus on defending our water, air, climate, and democracy. Specific programs include working to curb and ultimately stop the expansion of the petrochemical/plastics/fracking industries in West Virginia and our region, and working to restore and/or safeguard fair courts/judicial independence and clean elections.
The Administrative Director will manage all financial and operational activities for the organization. In addition to all aspects of accounting, budgeting, financial reporting and cash flow, he/she will oversee HR, facilities, IT, and organizational administration. Working with outside contractors and OVEC staff, the Administrative Director will ensure the smooth operating of this community-based nonprofit. The individual will need to have experience in overseeing administrative operations, bookkeeping, financial management, and office management.
The Administrative Director will have direct responsibility and need experience in the following:
- Must have accounting background and expertise.
- Have previous experience in processing invoices, coding expenses and deposits, entering all activities into QuickBooks (or similar accounting program), and paying expenses.
- Be able to manage payroll processing as done via QuickBooks.
- Be able to manage all bank deposits and bank reconciliations.
- Have background in setting up budgets.
- Will be required to maintain all local, state and federal filings as needed.
- Will be required to prep, compile and work with the audit firm to complete the annual audit.
- Will be required to prep, compile and work with the audit firm to complete the 990 tax form.
Board of Directors
- Prepare quarterly finance statements for the board finance committee. These materials include but are not limited to: Profit and loss statement and balance sheet.
- Will be required to maintain the filing of board minutes and records.
Office Management and Database
- Have background in office management.
- Possess tech skills necessary to learning and using information in the donor database: CiviCRM.
- Update and maintain accounting policies and procedures manual as needed.
- Update and maintain the employee handbook as needed.
- Complete relevant forms and filing as needed for the hiring of new employees.
- Manage overall personnel-related matters as needed for employee medical insurance, Simple IRA, and employee files.
- Will be required to coordinate the mailing of membership renewal notices.
- Help to coordinate fundraiser mailings as needed.
- Assist with the production and mailing of OVEC’s Annual Report.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required.
- Expertise in QuickBooks: income and expense, class reporting, and payroll.
- Demonstrated experience in nonprofit accounting.
- Able to perform assigned duties in a time-efficient manner.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and content management tools.
- Knowledge of OVEC’s program areas helpful; willingness to learn about our programs and issues a must.
OVEC recognizes that we all are imperfect beings who don’t always live up to our own expectations for ourselves or our organizations. The ideal candidate will strive to attain and maintain the following behaviors:
- Strongly demonstrated commitment to OVEC’s mission and our values as expressed in our Statement on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice, both of which can be found at ohvec.org/about-ovec/.
- Strongly demonstrated commitment to environmental and social justice in West Virginia.
- Commitment to grassroots organizing and the training and development of community leaders.
- Self-motivated, creative thinker with the ability to work both independently and as part of the team; as a team player, able to help inspire collaboration, acknowledge conflict, and facilitate conversations that help the team resolve issues.
- Ability to be held self-accountable for actions and deadlines and able to hold others accountable.
- Flexible and well organized.
- An energetic person who can handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities.
- Strong critical thinker and planner.
- Ability to complete required administrative tasks on time.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Available to work flexible hours, if needed.
Commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes personal health insurance, a generous vacation/holiday time off, a SIMPLE IRA plan with 3% employer contribution, and flex/comp time.
OVEC is based in Huntington, WV. Applicants are encouraged to be based in Huntington, although that may not be mandatory. The person hired must be able to attend weekly staff calls, monthly face-to-face meetings in the OVEC office (once these are resumed, that is; these currently taking place via video calls), off-site staff meetings (currently virtual), and staff’s annual retreat in the mountains of West Virginia (at the moment, we are uncertain whether we will have a 2020 retreat).
Submit a resume and a cover letter that explains how your past experience is applicable to the job requirements.
You may apply by email to email@example.com. Your resume and cover letter must be submitted in PDF format. Be certain that your name is in the filename of each attachment (e.g., cover-letter-Jones.pdf). Your e-mail submission subject line should read “Administrative Director application.”
You may also submit your cover letter and resume by mail to:
Administrative Director Search
PO Box 6753
Huntington, WV 25773-6753
OVEC is an equal opportunity employer. We value and are striving to build an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction.