Are you interested in cultivating a new future for West Virginia? Are you fed up with our state being poisoned, mocked and forgotten? Are you inspired by the beauty of the hills, the kindness of the people and the richness of the states history? If so, help out! OVEC members work on projects that promote public health, environmental protection and social justice. We need you at public hearings, rallies and OVEC-sponsored gatherings. We need help recruiting new OVEC members to build our citizen power.
- About OVEC
- Our Offices
- Get Involved Take Action
- Get Involved – Volunteer Opportunities
- Get Involved Join and Donate
- Meet OVEC Staff
- OVEC Board of Directors
- Meet Our Friends
- Get Informed
OVEC can arrange for training in many aspects of our work panel discussions, lobbying, permit reading, letter writing, water testing, nonviolence, basic computer training and much more. Contact us at 304-522-0246 if you are interested in trainings.
The “Ohio Valley” in our name refers to the Ohio River Valley. Our main office is in Huntington, W. Va. We work regionally.
- Join our Action Alert list
- Contact state and federal government officials. We all know that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
- Write letters to the editor
- Conduct Internet research of new potential foundations to approach for grant funding. Contact Tonya at 304-522-0246 or email@example.com
- Help stuff and label envelopes for mailings (occasional). Help move things around the office, (requires ability to carry sometimes heavy objects up and down stairs). Contact Maryanne at 304-522-0246 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Support the Membership Committee, host a house party for OVEC or help with logistics for special events; Contact Robin at 304-840-4877 oror email@example.com.
- Help register and protect your family cemetery and small community cemeteries. For information on cemetery preservation, Contact Robin at 304-840-4877 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Take one of OVECs media trainings and then step forward to be a spokesperson for your community. Your stories about mountaintop removal, deep shale oil and gas activities and other environmental problems are vital, and the media is essential to getting your story out. Contact Vivian at 304-522-0246 or email@example.com.
- Help do simple data entries, of new member information, etc. Contact Robin Blakeman: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Proofread, edit, and write newsletter articles. Contact Vivian at 304-360-1979 or email@example.com.
- Write letters to the editor and opinion columns, and comment online; Contact Vivian at 304-360-1979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Develop YouTube videos, edit photos and help with other visual media work. Contact Vivian at 304-360-1979 or email@example.com.
- Attend scheduled West Virginia Citizens for Clean Elections coalition meetings. Learn more and help work on issues and in this, and other state-wide coalitions for positive regulatory and legislative change. Contact Vivian at 304-360-1979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Donate to OVEC by signing up for OVEC’s Kroger Gift Card program
- Ensure OVEC’s long-term financial health by becoming a sustaining member
- Join OVEC or renew your membership
You are the engine of OVECs citizen power. Because of active members like you, politicians and others respond to our demands for clean air, water and land.
Think about the power of educating yourself and others. Talk to your neighbor; write a letter to the editor; read a book or watch a film on the issues we work on.
Read the online version of Winds of Change, our newsletter. Stay up-to-date about OVECs work and share this with your family and friends.
A major strength of OVEC is getting the word out about our issues.
Explore our website. There’s much more including photos and daily news updates. But as you know, OVEC is so much more than just a website. There are so many ways you can get involved to help make a difference.
Thanks so much for joining OVEC. See you at the next meeting or the next rally.