We want to help you take action against extraction.
What: Community Organizing Summit, hosted by the AGWG
Where: Jackson’s Mill, 160 WVU Jackson Mill, Weston, WV
When: Friday, April 6 – Sunday, April 8
The Appalachian Gas Working Group (AGWG) invites grassroots groups, organizations, activists, and socially conscious folks who are interested in learning the basic tools of grassroots movement building to better their communities in any way, especially those who want to resist the growing threat of oil and gas extraction to attend our Community Organizing Summit, April 6-8, in Weston, WV.
The goal of the Community Organizing Summit is to empower and strengthen grassroots activism with leadership training, coalition building, and outreach. The Summit will also provide opportunities for in depth learning on select topics.
Grassroots Skill Building:
– Speaking Across Bridges – How to talk with all sides
– Coalition Building – Strengthening through partnerships
– Maximizing and Diversifying Your Media and Outreach
– Community Canvassing – Cold calls, door-to-door, sculpting your “ask”
– Starting and Building a Campaign – Mission, goal setting, strategies, and more
– Gas Related Health and Medical Effects – Impact on individuals and community, available resources, and health surveys
– Permitting and Enforcement – Community oversight, enforcing the law, and protecting your rights.
– Environmental Monitoring – Water, air, and land.
– Appalachian Storage Hub, Mid-stream Processes, and What This Means to Your Community – Impact on individuals and community by pipelines, storage facilities, cracker plants, and extraction.
– Fighting Eminent Domain, Co-Tenancy, Forced Pooling, and Right To Trespass – Your rights and how to protect your land.
Registration is required by March 30. Complete your registration for attendance, meals and lodging through Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/community-organizing-summit-hosted-by-the-agwg-tickets-43440355272.
To attend our event, whether you stay overnight or not, we ask that you either choose the Friday night stay over, or the Saturday night stay over ticket on the registration page. To stay both nights, we ask that you purchase both the Friday night and Saturday night tickets. These registrations include meals and dorm beds.
- Friday night tickets include the use of a dorm bed for Friday night, plus dinner Friday night, and breakfast and lunch Saturday. That ticket is $25.
- Saturday night tickets include the use of a dorm bed for Saturday night, plus dinner Saturday night, and breakfast Sunday morning. That ticket is $25.
To attend the full event, the cost is only $50 for 2 overnight stays, and 5 meals.
Limited scholarships are available for those who need financial assistance to attend. If you are applying for a scholarship, please fill out this form (https://goo.gl/forms/2sfvxLsXclf9pRhr2). Individuals applying for a scholarship do not need to register through Eventbrite. Scholarship applications are due by March 23.
Join the event on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/871724986321717/
About the AGWG:
The Appalachian Gas Working Group is a consortium of green minded groups and organizations. Our vision is to support healthy communities, property rights, and a just transition to clean renewable energy, while leading a coordinated effort to end public harm from fracking and gas related extraction and infrastructure.
AGWG Partners: OVEC, WV Rivers Coalition, WV and VA Sierra Club, WV Highlands Conservancy, Appalachian Voices, Appalachian Mountain Advocates, PA League of Women Voters, Preserving Our Water Heritage and Rights (POWHR), Ohio River Citizens Alliance (ORCA), Friends of the Harmed, Mountain Lakes Preservation Alliance, Wetzel County Citizen Action Group, Headwaters Defense, Greenbrier River Watershed Association, Indian Creek Watershed Association, Eight Rivers Council, Christians for the Mountains, Preserve Monroe, Summers County Residents Against the Pipeline, Doddridge County Watershed Association, SW PA Environmental Health Project, Southwings, WV Citizens Action Group, WV Surface Owners Rights Organization, Mid-Ohio Valley Climate Action