Dear West Virginians:
Let’s mobilize on climate action! We are inspired by the Greta Thunberg and the global youth movement for climate justice.
Millions across the world are taking part in Global Climate Strikes on Friday, Sept. 20 and Friday Sept. 27, and the week in between, to demand a stable climate, stable jobs and a just transition toward renewable energy. Greta Thunberg and thousands of students have led the way and they’re asking other students and adults to join in.
Ideas for students and educators:
• Participate in a video conference with WV Delegates working to guide the state toward a just transition. More info TBA.
• Do a “teach in” or a special climate activity and have students make posters.
• Make posters and walk outside and take pictures for social media.
• Wear green t-shirts and climate badges.
Ideas for workers:
• Call your city council and government representatives to ask about their plans for a just transition to renewable energy for WV workers.
• Have a lunch-in where you discuss climate and energy at your workplace.
• Write a letter to the editor of your local news outlet.
• Organize a training or panel discussion at your workplace, school, library, or church.
• Talk about climate action with your family members.
• Organize a walk or run for the planet.
• Pick a day where you only serve vegetarian food
• Commit to transitioning to paper or compostable utensils and containers
• Use social media to spread the word #WVClimateAction #JustTransition #Fridaysforfuture
• Eat vegetarian for a day or for the week
Our goal as organizers is to coordinate and publicize. We invite you to visit the WV Climate Action website and join our Facebook Group where you can get ideas, post your events, and network with others across the state. Please help spread the word and invite all of your contacts and networks to participate. Let’s show that there’s enormous support for climate action in West Virginia!
If your organization would like to join our list of co-sponsors, let us know!
Marshall University Strike
Friday, September 20, 2019 • 3:00 PM
One John Marshall Dr.
Huntington, WV 25755