Public Hearings for Electric Rate Hikes
Appalachian Power Company and Wheeling Power Company have applied to raise residential and commercial electric rates by more than 11%. WV Public Service Commission is holding public hearings for citizen comments beginning Oct. 9 in Princeton.
APC/WPC say they need the increase in large part because residential consumption has decreased 14% and the number of residential customers has dropped by 11,000 since 2013.
Citizens should not be penalized for reducing their usage. Government agencies placing corporate profit over citizens’ well-being is one of the reasons for people leaving West Virginia to begin with.
You can attend a hearing in person or you can comment directly here at http://www.psc.state.wv.us/Scripts/OnlineComments/formalDisclaimer.cfm. Enter Case Number 18-0646-E-42T and select “Protest” for Comment Type. Public hearings begin Oct. 9 in Princeton and Oct. 11 in Beckley. Read more for more details and hearing dates and locations.
If approved by the Commission the proposed rates would produce approximately $114,588,092 annually in additional revenue. The average monthly bill for the various classes of customers will reflect changes as follows:
($)INCREASE (%) INCREASE
Residential $14.81 11.13%
Commercial $42.43 11.51%
Industrial $1,960 1.06%
The Commission will hold the following public comment hearings in these cases:
1. October 9, 2018, at 6:30 p.m., at the Mercer County Courthouse, Judge Sadler’s Courtroom, 2nd Floor, 1501 W. Main Street, Princeton, WV
2. October 11, 2018, at 6:30 p.m., at the Beckley-Raleigh County Convention Center, Room C, 200 Armory Drive, Beckley, WV
3. October 23, 2018, at 6:30 p.m., at the West Virginia Independence Hall Courtroom, 1528 Market Street, Wheeling, WV
4. October 29, 2018, at 6:00 p.m., at the Cabell County Courthouse, Courtroom No. 1, 2nd Floor, 750 5th Avenue, Huntington, WV
5. November 5, 2018, at 6:30 p.m., at the West Virginia Public Service Commission, Howard M. Cunningham Hearing Room, 201 Brooks Street, Charleston, WV